The library owes its founding to the Womans' Club of 1929. It was through the efforts of their Civics Committee Chair, Laura Young, that the New Jersey State Librarian, Sara Askew, spoke to a full house in the municipal building on library organization. Following the State Librarian's recommendations the Midland Park Library Association was formed. Fred Woelfle was the first Library Association President. The Library Association established the first library in September 1930 which was housed in conjunction with the school library on Highland Avenue. Hilda Block was the first appointed librarian. The initial collection comprised of fifty books from the State Library along with donated books from residents. The library was initially financed by officers and friends of the library going door to door asking for donations. In addition, the town council gave $100 a year and each year the Woman's Club held a book shower, card parties and Halloween Dances to raise funds. In 1932 Laura Young was appointed librarian.
In November 1937 a referendum was passed establishing the library as a municipal free public library and the library was moved to a store front at 220 Godwin Avenue. The Trustees of the Library were incorporated on January 14, 1938 with Amy Coggeshall as the first president. The growing demands for library services and books prompted the need for larger space and the cornerstone for the current library building was laid on September 23, 1950. In January 1963, ground was broken for an addition to be used as a children's room. This new wing was opened on May 20th, 1963 and currently houses resources for adults as the children's room was moved to the lower level. The library joined the Bergen County Cooperative Library System (BCCLS) on May 22, 1984. In 2011 the library was renovated to enlarge the Children's Department and open the main floor to a more patron friendly space.